On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 05:17:18PM -0500, Benji York wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
> >I have implemented a --list-modules option in a branch.  It causes the
> >test runner to apply package and module name filters, and then print the
> >list of Python module names that would be imported.  It is very fast
> >because it doesn't actually import the modules.  It is not very accurate
> >because it does not pay attention to test name patterns or layer filtering.
> >
> >Would this option be useful to anybody?
> If its output were identical to the tests that were actually going to be
> selected, then I think it'd be worth including.

That would be the proposed --list-tests option, wouldn't it?

Or do you want a list of modules that have at least one test remaining
after all the filtering (including --layer, --level and --test) is done?

> OTOH, being "not very
> accurate" would make the feature as implemented a bit of an attractive
> nuisance.

I phrased it badly.  s/It is not very accurate/It may not match user

As implemented in that branch, --list-modules is the list of test
modules that will be imported.  That is accurate.  My doubts lie in
whether this is what the user wants.

A long time ago, the Zope 3 test runner would only import unit or
functional test modules if it saw the corresponding option on the
command line.  I was used to that.  I think that is why I thought
seeing unit tests in 'test.py -f --list-modules' might be confusing.

Marius Gedminas