Hi Jim. I guess I missed the boat on app construction which I have clarified hopefully below. I am speaking of using zc.zope3recipes. As far as site.zcml. I think I'll need to experiment. At this point I see a strong incentive to automate. Too many packages - too little time and too many errors without. I want z3 development to be fast and enjoyable and I don't want to hate configuration but I honestly hate trial and error approaches. This is where I feel I am at with the site.zcml - particularly reconstituting zope and apps from packages and eggs in this context (particularly with the ordering of includes). Many thanks.

Regards
David

-------------

The recipe: zc.zope3recipes
The app: An app configured using the main setup.py for an application.
The app part: an app configured using recipe = zc.zope3recipes:app

The contrast:

1. An app as glue for functionality

bin
bootstrap.py
buildout.cfg
develop-eggs
eggs
parts
setup.py
src
  --namespace
       --app-package

Advantages:

* I dont care about grouping packages under main app src - I don't care about heirarchy - let eggs find paths - each egg contains package with functionality.
* Each package of functionality is an egg with its own dependencies
* Each egg is listed as dependency to the app in the main setup.py
* The setup.py dependencies are explicit
* Buildout checks dependencies so I don't have to.
* I develop a package, I list dependencies in egg for each small package. This is consistent with package development and package reuse
* I am concerned about app as glue. It is small and also an egg.

Disadvantages:

* Larger list of dependencies in main setup.py
* Buildout takes longer.

Buildout performance:

Takes more time. Why? Because package functionality in an egg with its own dependencies. Dependencies do not overlap in the main setup because they are explicit for each egg. Every package to app is an egg that is treated as an 'external' dependency that requires checks by buildout.

2. An app as a grouping functionality of several packages

bin
bootstrap.py
buildout.cfg
develop-eggs
eggs
parts
setup.py
src
  --namespace
       --app-package
       --my-pkg1
       --my-pkg2
       --my-pkg3
       --my-pkg4
       --my-pkg5
       -- ...

Advantages:

* I care about app package grouping - the heirachy of the app is intuitive to the app * The app setup.py only identifies external dependencies to the source of my app
* Buildout is faster

Disadvantages:

* Dependencies are not explicit. I need to determine what they are on the collection of packages that are my app to include in setup.py
* This is not a good scenario for package reuse.
* Buildout checks dependencies but I need to spend time ensuring I have got it right for my collection of packages in app to include in the setup.py for my app * I develop a package for my app, but since dependencies only come into the app setup.py for the app egg, I have not been explicit in identifying dependencies for each package.

Buildout performance:

Buildout takes less time. Why? The setup.py is checking 'external' dependencies only. Relationship of packages in app is implicit