Martijn Pieters wrote:
On 5/21/07, Gary Poster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
FWIW, I know zc.catalog but I'm certainly not an egg expert.  But
this message looks like you are maybe sharing a Python for various
installations.  Are you maybe using your system Python?  Generally
not advised for development work...try a standalone one?

Come again? Using the system python when developing has always been
fine; the recommendation has only applied to deployment situations in
the past. The point is that using a manual, dedicated build for a
deployment gives you full control over tweaking that build for best
performance without interfering with other users of the interpreter on
the same system.

I run dozens of development instances on my laptop, all with the same
Macports python 2.4 installation. Creating a separate python build for
each of these would be impractical, to say the least.

However, it appears that the switch to eggs requires additional
precautions to avoid your python system to be 'polluted' with various
Zope3 packages. Perhaps we should recommend using workingenv for
development work instead?

workingenv, v-python or buildout are certainly recommended when doing egg-based development. Some go as far as building their own Python (in which case they're probably ok with installing stuff into that Python's site-packages), but unless I'm doing deployment, I'm not one of them.