Hi. I've tended to use system python against some better advice, but use but leave it clean since I am using buildouts. This really has had more to do with the convenience of using the system package tools for upgrading such as FreeBSD ports system. I've also been experimenting with CentOS and Fedora Core - so here yum comes into play.

I think the best advice I have got from the discussion seems to be using a hand compliled python. I am almost at a point of thinking perhaps it my be best to use cmmi recipe for most system software on a stripped down server. I already need to patch a compiler and lxml will also only run on most up-to-date xml libraries so building these seems to make sense to make sure it does not choke.

The number of system packages I really need is limited and I am beginning to see more complex buildouts for apache for its configuration also:

Custom recipes are reasonable to assemble.

Has anyone any opinion on whether these are sane thoughts. On the plus side having complete control on a minimal software situation on a stripped server is attractive. On the other side the convenience of ports packages or yum are quite nice but potentially bring in other software you don't want or could potentially break a production setup. Updates and patches are certainly possible with buildout. Is this taking things too far in practice?

I see ruby's Capistrano doing much of the same jobs as zc.buildout - perhaps it has been around longer - but at the same time most setups I see still involve initial system software setup using yum with Capistrano doing the rest. Many thanks.