On 31 May 2007, at 21:50 , Jim Fulton wrote:
On May 31, 2007, at 3:37 PM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

Jim Fulton wrote:
Combined with the fact that that great majority of packages don't change very much after they have become stable, I think most package dependencies could be expressed very simply if there was a simple syntax to specify *just* the major version. In the context of setuptools, I think "*" could be used, as has been suggested, but without leading =s. So, to specify foo version 2, I think the following syntax would be very reasonable:
  foo 2*

Why can't this be foo >2 ?

This wouldn't prevent someone from specifying a minimum version. For example, to combine this with a minimum requirement of 2.5:
  foo 2* >=2.5

How about

  foo 2.>=5

This seems really weird to me.