On 5 Jul 2007, at 17:18 , Stephan Richter wrote:
On Thursday 05 July 2007 10:48, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
I'm not sure what the interaction patterns are, e.g. who's responsible for updating the tree's pointers to newer packages. The maintainers of
those packages? They probably know best ...

I disagree. While Stephan raises a few good points that still need to
be adressed for the tree, I personally prefer not working with the
tree anymore. If people want to keep it around, that's fine, but then
they should maintain it.

I disagree. This is like saying Zope 3.4.0 comes out, so we do not support Zope 3.3. People have real-world projects and we cannot ignore them. Just because we live on the edge, we cannot expect that other people do. There are still people out there using the <editform> directive and macro- based UI
patterns!

That's fine. I think we *are* paying our dues to backward compatibility by releasing Zope 3.4.x as the traditional tarball and by keeping a tree with externals, in addition to doing the eggs stuff. For *3.4.x*, I agree it's necessary, but I'm very skeptical towards any efforts beyond that. In particular, I wouldn't want to see those individual projects restricted by any release management for a "Zope 3.5" that the subject suggests. I doubt that there'll be a "Zope 3.5".

Regarding Christian's original question, I propose to proceed as follows:

* since the Zope 3.4 branch of the tree and its releases as tarballs are officially maintained, it should be the Zope 3.4 release manager's job to stitch in all the appropriate tags at the right time (*making* tags of the individual projects shouldn't have to be his task, though).

* the trunk of the tree is in the hands of whoever wants to keep running it.