Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 02:13:46PM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
>> Fred Drake wrote:
>>> Right.  No need to hold all the developers hostage to a release model
>>> we've been working to get away from
>> Please don't discount the risks such an escape entails:  in particular,
>> the "balkanization" of the source tree creates both technical risks
>> (developers in one of the satellites may not pay enough heed to the
>> needs of their dependents), and branding risks (the "known good"
>> / quality management issue).
> This sounds like the job that Linux distributions are doing: taking
> multiple packages that depend on each other in arbitrary ways,
> integrating them and releasing the whole after it's been tested and
> seen to work together.

Good analogy:  it points up the amount of effort required to keep the
enterprise going.   Note that there is a *lot* of brand equity in the
distros that do this well, and that messing this up can cost users.
Eggs should at least remove the majority of the burden of packaging
individual software components, but only if the quality of the eggs
stays high.

- --
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)