Paul Winkler wrote:
On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 12:49:23AM -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 05:39:45PM +0100, Martin Aspeli wrote:
Has there been a strong statement that there won't be a Python 2.7 and beyond? Will Python 2.x be actively killed off?
Quite the opposite, Guido proposed last year to do 2.7, 2.8, and 2.9.
After that it's not clear to me.

FYI, I asked about this on comp.lang.python.
New thread here:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/abc75862abe56d6a/3ecd2db9a2cb6b26?hl=en#3ecd2db9a2cb6b26

I did receive the strong impression from Guido during his keynote at EuroPython in 2007 that he hopes it won't go beyond 2.7 (which is "maybe" necessary). The FAQ talks about more 2.x.y bugfix releases as well.

When I told Guido about Zope's continuing separation in 2.x and 3.x communities he seemed to be a bit surprised and said he'd like to avoid that with Python. So I know he wants to avoid two parallel communities of Python 2.x and Python 3.x developers. He mentioned he wants to provide carrots for people to move. Such "carrot" marketing will be opposed to the interests of the larger frameworks which can't port quickly, as it'll likely be at least implying that 2.x is old stuff you shouldn't be using.

Regards,

Martijn