Hi Reinoud. I started the thread since I am concerned there could be a real threat to zope that I work with. I have not seen anything on the python list in general but I was happy to see the blog article from Twisted to get some perspective from Glyph. Without an effort to assess and plan with the folks who's libraries we depend upon (and those that depend on zope) there could be harsh implications.

I have no doubt the proposed language changes will be good for the maturation of python, but no backwards compatibility means we are building obsolescence with each line of code we write. The threat to substantial and established projects like Zope and Twisted is fracturing the community, forking the projects, and creating a marketing environment for python 2 technology that could make it a difficult sell. Python 2 to P3K will require substantial rewriting from what we are seeing and I think we all agree we cannot put much stock in conversion scripts for complex code with subtle language changes. The fact that that Jean-Paul Calderone is involved with this is at least a bit more comforting understanding his ties to Twisted.

I was hoping Jim might respond to this thread since I am certain there is concern about what this means for the future of Zope. I am hoping that core communities of python framework developers may come together on what is in their best interests.

Communication with the core python team on impacts could create a cohesive strategy for the future and improve buy-in if there can be agreement on how to move forward. It may be difficult to get more unified support from the light framework project leadership since porting these frameworks will take less time. In any case, I believe this dialog likely needs to come sooner rather than later, particularly from the leadership of the framework projects. I am not sure if some of this at least occurring informally, but I get a sense that formal discussion with the python team is needed soon and well before P3K is ready. It would at least provide some sense of how we will be navigating inevitable changes to the language (and to determine impacts on the zope framework and our own development decisions). With a plan and some consideration by the python team, the objectives of P3K may not seem so bad.