Martijn Faassen wrote:
Martin Aspeli wrote:
Paul Winkler wrote:
On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 05:39:45PM +0100, Martin Aspeli wrote:
Has there been a strong statement that there won't be a Python 2.7 and beyond? Will Python 2.x be actively killed off?

Quite the opposite, Guido proposed last year to do 2.7, 2.8, and 2.9.
After that it's not clear to me.

In the discussion on Python 2.x and 3.x compatibility, substitute the word "Zope" for "Python" and think of the irony.

I'm still waiting for the announcement of Python "Five" :-)

I suggest we call it Python -1; 2 - 3 = -1.

Ironically a Python runtime that could run both Python 2 and Python 3 code and have it interoperate would be the one thing that would put my mind at rest. Unfortunately the core developers have also dismissed this as an option; too much work, basically. Which is also ironic as they're certainly causing a lot of work for everybody else with this move. :)

My secret hope is that we could generate such a runtime with PyPy (which I find much more promising and interesting than Py3k anyway).