David Pratt wrote:
Communication with the core python team on impacts could create a cohesive strategy for the future and improve buy-in if there can be agreement on how to move forward.

While I fully agree, my one (accidentally started) communication with the core Python team on my worries surrounding this left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I'll just need to get over that, I know, and I'm sure I put my foot in my mouth in a few places, but when people express their worries they shouldn't be responded to in the way I was responded to. Anyway, you can expect defensive responses from the Python 3000 developers and we'll need to get past that.

It may be difficult to get more unified support from the light framework project leadership since porting these frameworks will take less time. In any case, I believe this dialog likely needs to come sooner rather than later, particularly from the leadership of the framework projects. I am not sure if some of this at least occurring informally, but I get a sense that formal discussion with the python team is needed soon and well before P3K is ready. It would at least provide some sense of how we will be navigating inevitable changes to the language (and to determine impacts on the zope framework and our own development decisions). With a plan and some consideration by the python team, the objectives of P3K may not seem so bad.

You're making very good points. We should indeed come up with a strategy to approach the leaderships of other web frameworks and large libraries, to see whether we can get a common communication channel going, to which we should invite the core developers.

David, could you take the lead on this? I think we need to come up with an announcement inviting people, a mailing list, and a wiki, to start with. I'd be happy to help with this, but we need someone else to take the lead (my reputation with the core developers has been damaged by the previous fracas anyway). I can coordinate this effort with the Zope Foundation board should it be needed.

The best initial strategy, I think, would be to approach some individual figures within these communities privately to gauge their interest and see whether we can come up with a joint position of some kind.