Martijn Faassen wrote:
Anyway, I think the rule should be:

"When you do a final or bugfix release of a package, you can't start requiring a new feature release of another package."

Translated to version numbers:

"If X.Y.x has been relying on A.B.x, X.Y.x + 1 cannot start relying on A.B + n, only on new A.B.x + n releases, where x is one of (b0, b1, 1, 2, 3, ...) and n is one of (1, 2, 3 ...)"

Philipp, is this something that would be worthwhile to adopt in your document?

Absolutely. I don't have the time to add it right now, but I've added a note so I won't forget.