I think this is very a unfortunate, and unfortunately also completely understandable mistake. The Zope community has some great architects and developers, but from looking at the state of zope.org, not many who are willing or able to market the project to the wider open source community and other potential adopters. In the long term, Zope probably does lose a number of potential interessants, contributors, donators and developers through this lack of marketing. Considering that we are at 3.2 already, the argument that it's still new and exciting doesn't really hold water anymore.

Of course, the issue isn't just the web site or one or two misinformed journalists. Zope 3 is a well-kept secret, and with the degree of competition in the web framework space and the amount of lip service Ruby-on-Rails gets, for instance, I'm not sure how long it can afford to be that. From the Plone world, we have learnt that marketing requires dedication, time and skills that are hard to come by, but the pay-off can be great. In fact, I'm a little surprised that Zope Corporation hasn't taken more steps to publicise the latest and greatest framework that bears their name (surely they must find it easier to sell solutions when people have heard of their tool of choice - even their brand?). I truly, truly hope the Zope Foundation will make this a priority. In the meantime, I'll keep telling the guys at work how cool Zope 3 is every time I swear at whatever Java thing they've put in front of me.