Shane Hathaway wrote:
Was this an accident?  Did it work at one time?  Are there plans to make
principal annotation views work again?  And how can I edit user
annotations in the meanwhile?

No one knows, I guess.  After spending many days on a seemingly simple
problem, I've drawn a blank.

Not that I've tried this myself (yet).

Re: the ZopeBook example, I'd change the annotation adapter from
IPrincipal to IInternalPrincipal..

<adapter
  factory=".info.PrincipalInformation"
  provides=".interfaces.IPrincipalInformation"
  for="zope.app.authentication.principalfolder.IInternalPrincipal"
  permission="zope.ManageServices"
  />

I guess you'd also need to make the InternalPrincipal class annotatable,
 in your application configure.zcml, add...

<content
 class="zope.app.authentication.principalfolder.InternalPrincipal">
 <implements
   interface="zope.app.annotation.IAttributeAnnotatable"
   />
</content>

Also in the example the browser:editform directive should be changed
from IPrincipal to IInternalPrincipal.

Good luck.
-Tom