Jim Fulton wrote:
easy_install lets me specify an egg from svn, e.g.:

$ easy_install http://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/ZopeSkel/trunk#egg=ZopeSkel-dev

Hm, interesting.  I thought I had seen something like that, but I've
never been able to find documentation for it.  Do you know where this
is documented?

Does this example actually work?

No, it doesn't. The format is #egg=<EGG>-<VERSION>. We use it currently on the CheeseShop page for grok and grokproject. You can easy_install these two even though there's no release. Setuptools will simply get them from SVN from the URLs that have the "#egg=..." thing.

I have a zc.buildout recipie that specifies a number of eggs that should always be fetched from svn.

I wonder what that should mean.

I suppose he wants zc.buildout to take over for what we are currently using svn:externals.

 > These are not (yet) in the cheeseshop.

Is there some way of specifying such eggs, e.g.

parts = ...

eggs =

Of course, that doesn't work :)

I suppose this is somewhat similar to develop-eggs, but (as far as I know) these have to be in the src/ directory, and can't be fetched from svn and kept up to date automatically. We currently do this with svn externals to fetch them into src/ but I'd like to be able to distribute a standalone buildout.cfg that could get these eggs.

I agree that something like this would be useful.  I would like to
see the semantics spelled out.  For example, I agree that this should
lead to a develop egg.  What version should it have? Should that
be determined by the remote setup.py file?  Is the project you point
to required to have a setup.py file?  If so, then why specify a
project name after the #.

You guys are confusing the "dev" version with the concept of a "development egg". Installing the "dev" version of an egg will not necessarily lead to a development egg. It just simply means it'll get the latest development version, presumably from svn, and install that. As far as I understand, a development egg can only be "created" using python setup.py develop, meaning, you should get the source code yourself.

Next Zope 3 training at Camp5: http://trizpug.org/boot-camp/camp5