I also like the idea of UUIDs the way they are meant to be - which should be independent of the instance. I can imagine a further possibility to synchronize objects from independent zodb sources if this existed.

The UUID generator that I have been looking at is with the Chandler project (currently under Apache license) that could be easily wrapped:

http://svn.osafoundation.org/chandler/trunk/internal/chandlerdb/chandlerdb/util/uuid.c

Regards,
David