On 23 Jan 2008, at 14:22 , Martijn Pieters wrote:
On Jan 23, 2008 2:04 PM, Roger Ineichen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
No, I see the exact same thing on Mac and Linux; you need to
explicitly include .zcml and .txt files in MANIFEST.in; that
file doesn't exist; just create one next to setup.py, and
include 2 lines:

 global-include *.txt
 global-include *.zcml

This'll include *all* text and zcml files recursively found
from that directory.

Are you really sure? that's new to me and that isn't documented
here:
http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/Sandbox/philikon/foundation/releasing-softwar
e.txt

Nope, it's a distutils feature: http://docs.python.org/dist/manifest.html

Yes, MANIFEST.in is a distutils feature. It's also described in my book, by the way.

However, setuptools makes the usage of MANIFEST.in unnecessary when you're operating within a subversion checkout. In such a case, an egg will contain all files managed by subversion. Therefore, you should always create eggs from svn checkouts, never from svn exports. setuptools is smart enough to ignore '.svn' etc. The releasing- software.txt document outslines the correct procedure here, I think.

I distinctly remember there being a Windows-related bug in setuptools, but IIRC, it was about line endings in one of the EGG-INFO files within ZIP files, or something like that. That one was fixed a while ago. Not sure whether it made it to an actual setuptools release, though.

Btw, Windows users can generate standard tarballs using the --formats switch:

  python setup.py sdist --formats=gztar

(see python setup.py sdist --help-formats). Since the code was checked on Windows, the source code and text files will have Windows line endings, though... :/