Thanks... but go easy.

I have to choose which features of Zope to learn and use, based on a much larger criteria than I can present here.

I do not wish to mix ZPT and DTML in my project... I had chosen DTML, before ZPT was mature... It may be better, but I don't care for now... when I'm able to re-assess which pieces of Zope to use in a future project, I may well choose it.

As a professional programmer, you must see the advantage in adhering to a project's standards and specs, as to managing the code in the project.  That is why I needed to use DTML for my RSS.

I have chosen my mix for this project, and benefit much more from my standards docs much more than any single feature like ZPT can provide.

As far as I know, DTML is being supported into the future, and my hand will not be forced.

I appreciate all the hard work in developing ZPT for the community, but it's just not for me, yet... probably be used in my first Zope 3 project instead.

BTW, the solution presented by Peter hit the nail on the head... I have a very nice RSS setup now for my Zope app.

-Jon Cyr

Chris Withers wrote:
Jonathan Cyr wrote:
I am constructing an RSS 2.0 feed for a zope app.  I am creating the rss.xml file in a DTML method.

Use ZPT, it's much better suited to this...

to include in the feed is a structured-text paragraph.  To use any XHTML in a feed you must "html_quote" all of the extended characters for it to work.

What do you mean by "extended characters" here?

So I wish to do something like <dtml-var summary fmt="structured-text" html_quote>

This obviously doesn't work, (would have been cool if it did tho).  How do I access the structured text and html quote translation mechanisms in an expr tag.

Something like <dtml-var expr="summary.structured_text().html_quote()">

ZPT does html quoting by default, so provided summary.structured_text() does what yo uexpect it to, you could just do:

<tal:x replace="summary/structured_text"/>

That said, I'd pretty sure RSS feeds CAN include html, and it doesn't need to be quoted...

ps- I don't use ZPT, DTML was chose a while back, and would rather keep

Well, un-choose it, especially for something new and isolated like an RSS feed...

the RSS in a DTML Method rather than a python script.  The layers are getting pretty hairy, don't want to add indention to it

Jonathan Cyr