On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 10:23:40AM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
> I would look for a replication strategy to create your "intermediate"
> storage server:  the setup you are trying is not supported by the
> current ZEO setup.  Such strategies include:
>   - Zope Corp's "Zope Replication Services" product, which keeps the
>     "secondary" storage servers synchronized with the primary via
>     the "spread" toolkit.
>   - DirectoryStorage can be used to do replication via rsync.

... but you can't use a DirectoryStorage replica as a "hot" or "warm" backup.

DirectoryStorage replicas are pulled from the master storage, and no
storage process can be using the replica storage while this pull is
happening - not even in read-only mode. This is documented at

For more background discussion, see these threads -
why hot failover won't work:
some talk about cold failover:

Paul Winkler