On Jan 7, 2008, at 9:18 AM, David Chelimsky wrote:

On Jan 7, 2008 8:06 AM, Andreas Jung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
--On 7. Januar 2008 08:00:27 -0600 David Chelimsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED] >
wrote:

Hi,

I want to show different things to different viewers based on their IP
addresses. How can I do this?

Basically you look at the clients ip address (from the REQUEST object) and perform any action you need (redirections, conditions within scripts, templates)...but no idea what the sense of this usecase is. If you have
different audiences, setup sites with different content or something
similar. In addition: using Zope behind proxy will lead in request coming
from the IP address of your reverse proxy. Additional
configuration/programming is necessary to get hold of the original IP.

Thanks for the reply.

The use case is that my client wants to block a range of IP addresses
from being able to view their site. So I need to access the
originating IP address and filter appropriately.

I've written a few custom zope products before, but I've not done
anything that really modifies zope's behaviour on every request - just
on requests for the specific objects I'm publishing. So I'm familiar
with the request object, but I don't know how to intercept *every*
request. Are there any global request life-cycle hooks? If you can
point me to those that would be a great help.

Cheers,
David

If you just need to redirect traffic from an IP range, and not do anything fancy, it may be better to do it in Apache rather than Zope.
http://wiki.zope.org/zope2/ZopeAndApache

Tom