I would strongly advice against building on top of the ZMI. It's dated and as you say, in DTML. It's also too geeky to be acceptable by any client of mine. Personally I'd build something standalone that you have ultimate control over. You can still use things like manage_renameObjects() in your own mnagement interface; which you'd be able to replace once you move to zope 3.

Jurian Botha wrote:
I'm currently developing some customized ZMI pages and I was hoping someone
could give me some insight into what the best way would be to do this.

I see that Zope 2 uses dtml methods to build the standard ZMI pages but as
far as I know (Zope 3 wise) I should rather be using Zope Page Templates to
build the pages.

I would also like the product to gracefully move on to Zope 3 in future, so
that should be taken into consideration as well.

Are there perhaps some existsing templates for ZMI that can also be used
with Zope 3?

Peter Bengtsson,
work www.fry-it.com
home www.peterbe.com