There's nothing wrong with the ZMI. You're just try to hack into some kind of cms rather than just build one. Hiding a link with css is nasty hack and major security issue. While it may seem like what you're doing is an easy path to a quick cms, you're really just setting yourself up for a management nightmare. I'd recommend reading through (all of) this:

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook