Strong words you got there Arvin.  I like what you said about
volunteering time and mind.  Don't worry, this is a challenge that I
dream of acting upon someday (or probably in the present if I could
squeeze it into my crazy schedule).

Those who go abroad often get the flak of having a defeatist
attitude.  But I believe that there are still some who care enough to
return to the Philippines eventually to give back and share their
time/talent/treasure or whatever they have in their disposal to
improve the lot of disadvantaged Filipinos.  In the interim, what
these people do is to pool as much financial resources and knowledge
so that when they come back, they have a lot more to offer.  I hope a
lot of us will be like the Chinese girl being talked about below:

"Some months ago I was on a flight to San Francisco. Beside me was a
Chinese girl. On the last few hours of the flight, we chatted a bit.
She had gone to Qinghua, the MIT of China. So she had a very
privileged schooling like you. She had just finished graduate school
in finance at Stanford – and so we shared stories of the Stanford I
knew and her experiences of Stanford  of more recent years. She said
she was working in an investment house in San Jose, California. But
she had just come back from a month of teaching finance in a
university in Shanghai. She said that this was a commitment she made,
to go back regularly to China and share of her finance expertise. I
was impressed. I was even more impressed when she said that her other
commitment was to give priority in her investment house to get
investments for an industrial zone beside her home village. She got
me thinking about the way we sometime phrase commitment to country in
terms of staying or not staying. This young woman taught me that it
is more a question of heart and of love. If you have a heart that
cares for your native land, you will find a way to make a difference
even if you are far away. And perhaps, on the other hand, if you do
not have the heart, you will not make a difference even if you stay."

--- In 4c-math94@yahoogroups.com, "killyrbf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <<< when i said "educated" (with double qoutes for the lack of term)
> i meant not solely those who got degrees... in general it means a
> person capable of being rational, pass sound judgement,
> analytica/logical, wise/smart, aware of his sorroundings... --- all
> at least to some extent...
>
> i agree and its true that "some" educated ones (CEO's who think for
> their business' best interest)... but they are small part of the so
> called "educated" people ... they are the exceptions rather than the
> rule... >>>
>
> <<< So pag naubos na ang mga nagtapos, wala ng boboto ng
> maayos-ayos..... nakakalungkot...... =( >>>
>
> don't fool yourselves into thinking that the educated middle-class
> has a say with what goes on around here. same goes for those you
call
> "uneducated". NOTHING MOVES IN THIS COUNTRY WITHOUT THE GO FROM THE
> MONEYED. you believe erap would have been removed if not for the
> people with funds?? you believe gma would have been elected if not
> for the people with funds?? keep on dreaming.... the biggest thieves
> and criminals belong to the ruling class. they're the puppet
masters.
> they place into position the politicians whom they know they could
(&
> will) control.
>

> <<< It sounds good but how much education do these guys need ? Buti
> pa yung daga sa laboratory experiment pag hinawakan yung knob ng
> dalawa, tatlong beses at nakuryente di na hahawakan ulit. Tayo we
> keep re-electing the same politicians tapos magtataka baket di tayo
> nag proprogress >>>
>
> that's because they (we) don't have a choice. we have the same set
of
> candidates every election. when there's someone new, she has to get
> real lucky to be elected. young bloods always get cheated! (unless
> they're kids of trapos) as they don't have the resources to much up
> with the trapos. GUNS, GOONS & GOLD- it still stands when it comes
> philippine politics.
>
> you want to know why the trapos still rule? get out. don't hit the
> streets, hit the country sides. it's been hammered into people's
> brain that the politicians are your one & only source for emergency
> funds.. "kailangan ng pampalibing, pambili ng gamot, manganganak si
> misis". nobody ever told this people that it doesn't work that way
> and that it shouldn't be that way. why? because the trapos know that
> by not empowering these people they would continue to be vital in
> these people's lives and the so called educated ones don't really
> care as pastures are greener abroad.
>
> it's not just about education. it's about better choices and people
> empowerment.
>

> <<< Pero anong institution nga ba ang dapat gumawa nito?
Eskuwelahan?
> Eh wala ngang perang pang-aral. Simbahan? Majority sa atin
kristiyano
> pero bakit questionable ang attitude/behaviour/ethics ng nakararami?
> Pamilya? Eh watak-watak nga paano pa makaka-provide ng proper
> guidance si nanay/tatay? >>>
>
> that's where you and i come in. it need not be cash. volunteer your
> time and your mind. we deem our selves as stable people, ones who
> have a firm grasp of what's going on and what's right and wrong. why
> don't we share that "nirvana" with the "unelightened". the real
ngo's
> (those that didn't get a piece of gma's php1B "PEACE" bond) and even
> just group of friends do this.. communities need YOU to talk about
> cooperatives, spreadsheets, word processing, home-based business,
> roi, day care, scholarships, better farming techniques, education,
> family planning....
>

> <<< I just read in the newspaper that according to one survey 40% of
> the respondents want Erap back as President (or as part of the new
> leadership) -when will we ever learn (hope this survey is wrong
> though >>>
>
> what are you going to do about it??? go abroad??? yup.. i know...
> keep on reading ;)
>

> Got Milk? ( . )( . )

Ask our other classmates to subscribe, tell them to send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yahoo! Groups Links