Laurie wrote:

>Well Muse has a serious problem in using multiple voices for a piano part.
>(I would guess Bryan's Noteworthy to ABC converter would have the same
>problem).  The problem is "how do you decide what counts as a voice?"  This
>is from near the end of "His Yoke is easy and his Burthen is light".  I've
>simplified it a tiny bit - it's really in 4/4 and the [c4 e4] tie over into
>the next bar.
>
>X:0
>T:Example
>L:1/8
>M:None
>K:Bflat%(no mode given)%
>% shortest note in chord dictates start of next
>[F2 B2 d/]e/f [_A2 B2 f4] [G3 B2] [c4 e4] FE
>
>There is no way that Muse could reasonably figure out what is a voice.
>There is actually a bit of the soprano line, slightly distorted, the
>contralto line running down through it a few odd notes from the orchestra
>and a couple of notes an octave above the tenors, but who cares?  The line
>is intended to give enough of a sketch of what's going on for a chorus to
>practice against before they start shelling out their hard-earned on an
>expensive orchestra.
>
>Also, by the way, I have little interest in the fact that the average
>pianist has just under two hands or which notes are to be played with which,
>though others might.

I see your problem, although it's a problem for Muse (and other programs
which convert music to abc), rather than for abc itself.  Presumably
Muse would have no trouble reading the abc if it were written like this:

X:1
T:Example
L:1/8
M:None
K:Bb
[V:1] d/e/f B2  B2 e4 FE |
[V:2] F2    f4     c4 z2 |
[V:3] B2   _A2  G3 z3 z2 |

Of course, not having the score I don't know which are the actual voices,
and there are several different ways in which the notes could be distributed
between the voices, but the result makes for much more readable and less
ambiguous abc than the first version.

Phil Taylor