Henrik Norbert wrote -

>So two of the most used* abc programs, Muse and AbcMus, both
>use the "shortest determines length" method, which seems to
>work well. I've had no complaints so far. Have you, Laurie? Do we
>really have to change it?

But a few days ago he wrote -

>Now that I understand what you mean I agree that "first-listed
>note" is the best alternative.
>
>BTW, AbcMus currently implements the "shortest note" alternative,
>but I could easily change it to "first-listed note".

I had launched Abacus using "highest note" and some people raised objections.
 After some discussion in which the case was put for both shortest and
longest I thought we had arrived at a consensus for "first-listed note" on
the grounds that this made no assumptions about the music at all.  I changed
the development version of Abacus accordingly.  If there really is a better
case for "shortest note", then fair enough but I would like to see a definite
agreement before I bother to change it again.

"Better case", as far as I am concerned, means what is best for the users and
for abc as a whole, not what is least trouble for the developers.

Bryan Creer