Jack Campin wrote:
| > something else that's common in piano and
| > guitar music:  a "hanging" tie to the right of a note that means "Let
| > this note sound" for an unspecified time.  There's no way that I know
| > to say this in abc at present. It's yet another way that keyboard and
| > guitar music is the worst case for music notation.
|
| Using BarFly's invisible rests you can do this:
|
| X:1
| T:test
| M:none
| K:C
| (A2x) (B2y) (c2x) (d2y)||

This works with abc2ps.  A bit of testing shows that there is a minor
bug that should be squashed.  One thing I tried was:
  | (Cx)(Ex)(Gx)(cx)(ex)(gx) |

This starts off looking good, but for the c, e and g the slur  has  a
weird  downward slant.  The reason was shown by using z instead of x,
which showed that the last three rests are  positioned  at  the  same
place,  in  the  middle  of the staff, and the slur is drawn from the
note head to the bottom of  that  rest.   The  solution  to  this  is
probably  to  move  the  rests  so  they're at the same height as the
adjacent note(s), at least to the notes in the same group.  This will
also fix a similar bug that would affect multi-voice music.

Funny thing is, this works perfectly:
  | (Cx)(Ex)(Gx) (cx)(ex)(gx) |

What we're after here, for those who don't follow  the  topic,  is  a
"tie"  after  the note that doesn't connect to another note.  This is
common notation in some kinds of music.  You wouldn't have to explain
it to a guitarist, for example. It really means "Let that note ring",
i.e., hold the note for however long sound right to your ear.

This concept probably induces dispair in the minds of implementers of
abc players.  But the fact is that it's standard notation in a lot of
musical crowds.  The x and y invisible rests are an elegant  solution
to  this.   We  should try it out on other abc tools, and send in bug
reports for those that don't handle it.

Of course, invisible rests are a post-1.6 feature.  I wonder what abc
tools understand them?

What they mean:

x is a rest that isn't drawn, but is played.  It's useful  mostly  in
multi-voice music, to avoid clutter on the page.

y is a rest that isn't drawn or played. It is mostly a kludge to tell
formatters  to insert some horizontal space at that point.  It's also
used as an attachment point for things that are normally attached  to
a "note", but you don't want a note or rest at that point.  Thus, the
H (hold, or fermata) symbol is understood by some abc  programs,  but
they  require  that  it be before a note or rest.  Hy draws a fermata
symbol between notes.