Starling wrote -

> ...  I had one question.  What is a "melody note"?  I have always
> known melodies as defined by context, and subject to much
> interpretation, rather than being defined by a specific type of
> notation.  Two different people can call a section of music melody or
> accompaniment, and both may have valid opinions.  I'm curious, what in
>| your implementation requires certain notes to be selected as "melody"?
>| Or am I totally misinterpreting the use of the phrase "melody note"?

Melody note does seem to be an abstract and somewhat subjective concept which
is why I think that "first-listed note = chord duration" is the only
practical proposition.

John Chambers wrote -

>In the context of an abc discussion, there's a very practical meaning
>of  "melody note".  There are a number of abc "player" programs (that
>write MIDI or go directly to a sound card) that are monophonic.  That
>is,  they can only play one note at a time.  When faced with a chord,
>such a program makes a choice of which note to play.  As far as  I've
>heard,  all  of  them  make the same choice:  the first note.  In the
>current discussion, this is what is meant by "the melody note".

This is a best guess under the circumstances and is quite likely to be wrong.
 Jim Vint says he has changed abc2win to remove the requirement for chord
notes to be in ascending order but there are a lot of tunes out there that
will already have done it that way so, for these,  first note will almost
certainly not be melody note.  In their position, I would have gone for
highest note.  Since different length notes in a chord are rare, "first note
gives duration" will usually be right for existing abc.

Bryan Creer