Henrik Norbert wrote -

>Sorry, Bryan, on second thoughts and after Laurie's mails I
>changed my mind.

I'd be interested to know why since Laurie doesn't seem to have given much in
the way of reasons for his view except that that is the way he has started
developing Muse-2.

Laurie Griffiths wrote -

>Can someone explain why "first note determines length" is better than
>"shortest determines length".  A counter example that doesn;t work the other
>way would be nice, especially if it were not contrived.

I know you've been away Laurie but this has been discussed at some length for
over a week now.  A variety of people have given their reasons and examples.
Perhaps if you would care to read the whole thread you could come up with
specific reasons why you disagree and why you think "shortest determines
length" is better.

I am prepared to change Abacus to follow a concensus view,  (I've already
done so once) but we no longer seem to have a concensus.  I'll only change my
code a again for a concensus that looks as if it's going to last more than a
few days.

Bryan Creer