At 10:13 AM 08-12-2002 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] you wrote:
>Jack Campin wrote -
>
> >> OK, I'm with you and it's growing on me.  It would be necessary for
> >> something I saw the other day which would need to be written
> >> [d6z2]2[B2G2][B2G2] although there would still need to be intelligence
> >> within the programme to recognise that the two Bs were not melody notes.
> >
> >Do you mean the B's are tied or printed as one note?
>
>It's a bit difficult to explain without diagrams and waving your arms around.
>  [d6z2]2[B2G2][B2G2] represents one bar of 3/4 time.  The d6 is a dotted
>minim over a crotchet rest.  The [B2G2]s are two separate (untied) crotchet
>length chords.  A classic Dum Ching Ching rhythm with the Dum sustained for
>the whole bar.  Your absorptive-tie idea strikes me as a less than intuitive
>way of representing this.  [d6z2][B2G2][B2G2] would work for "shortest note".
>  [z2d6][B2G2][B2G2] would work for "first listed note" and "shortest note".
>None of them make sense for "first listed note = melody note".

How would [d6]2[z2B2G2][z2B2G2] work for "first listed note = melody note"?

Actually, this might be an appropriate place for a "non-printing rest"....

[d6]2   % Melody is a D above middle-C, played for 6 ticks.  Next note
begins after 2 ticks
[y2B2G2]  % Melody in this chord is non-existant (non-printing rest), has a
                 % B below middle C and a G below middle C, and begins on
tick 3, lasts 2 ticks
[y2B2G2]  % Same as above, but beginning on tick 5.