From: "Bernard Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Consider:
> Is ~ a roll or a turn?

It was so vague in the origibnal spec that I was considering
ignoring it :-)

> [..] is the symbol for a chord, but I've seen +..+ also used

[ ]  is what the spec says and so that is what I have implemented.
Is ++ written down anywhere?

> Change of time sig (etc) can be done with [M:3/4] in the middle of
> line or M:3/4 on a line by itself. But I've seen music with M:3/4
> without brackets in a mid-line.

The original spec seems a bit loose about whether M:3/4 needs a line
to itself - I am *trying* not to make assumptions about it.

> My biggest wail is the end-of-line. The standard says that the end
of
> line is the end of music line (unless terminated with \
character). But
> many tunes have silly numbers of bars, on a line, like 10,9,1 on 3
> consecutive lines. Clearly needing relayout but then when to
relayout a
> line, when not?

I'm thinking about that one. the easiest thing with MOZART is just
to ignore abc's end of lines and let it reformat - it does that
anyway as bars grow and shrink.  Alternatively I could put a hard
line break where abc lines change - I'll suck it and see.

MOZART is quite accustomed to doing a lot of formatting itself and
by default after MIDI import it reformats absolutely everything as
MIDI contains no format information.  So I'm heading at things
backwards with MOZART by letting it do all its own formatting, and
gradually telling it to respect more of the contents of the abc
file.

Dave
David Webber
Author of MOZART the music processor for Windows -
http://www.mozart.co.uk
Member of the North Cheshire Concert Band
http://www.northcheshire.org.uk