From: "Bernard Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> The problem as a developer is that we're second-guessing writers
of
> "bad" abc notation.

A concise way of putting it.  :-)

We're in a slightly different boat from some of the others though.

If people want to write abc and read it using Notepad (or other
ascii text app) and purely cerebral processing, then flexible
notation with no exact standard may be clear enough.

If people want write it by hand and only ever use one abc-specific
application to print it, then only that application's dialect of abc
need concern them.

If your users (like some of mine) are clamouring for abc import
because there's so much stuff out there, then we want to read
*everything*.  And life is suddenly harder without a strict
standard.   :-(

Dave
David Webber
Author of MOZART the music processor for Windows -
http://www.mozart.co.uk
Member of the North Cheshire Concert Band
http://www.northcheshire.org.uk