John Chambers wrote:

>With the Terminal on my new  Powerbook  (OSX)  it  beeps  at  me  and
>nothing appears on the screen. Now, this window is ssh'd to a FreeBSD
>box, but I know it's not the software there that's doing it.  I typed
>the earlier message via an xterm on a linux system, ssh'd to the same
>machine, and the ALT-) went right through without problems.   So  I'd
>have  to  say  that  the  Mac's  Terminal app is what's rejecting the
>OPTION-G char and beeping at me.  I've dug around in the help  stuff,
>but haven't found any clues.  Lots of idiot-level help for how to use
>the menus and set the font, which I guessed on my own.  But nothing I
>can find that let's me input the rest of the character set.

Terminal is a wierd application, sitting uneasily on the interface
between MacOS and Unix.  It doesn't do either thing quite properly.
You will find that Option-G works in any of the Mac editors, e.g.
TextEdit.  In BarFly you may find that it gives you g'' (the program
has a series of shortcuts for typing multi-character abc notes, and
that's one of them, but you can turn that off under General Preferences).

I haven't tried it (and I'm on OS 9 at the moment) but you could
try opening TextEdit at the same time as terminal, type any chars
that terminal won't accept into the TextEdit window, then select
and drag them into the Terminal window.

Congratulations, by the way, on figuring out that that key is called
Option, despite what it says on the key cap.  Calling it Alt would
mark you out as an amateur:-)

Phil Taylor