I. Oppenheim writes:

| > (c) Why is £ \243? While I can of course implement it, it makes no
| > sense. Ascii £ is 156.
|

>From the iso_8859-1 man page:

       Oct   Dec   Hex   Char   Description
       243   163   A3     £     POUND SIGN
       251   169   A9     ©     COPYRIGHT SIGN

One problem we seem to have is that people use  \  followed
by  digits to mean octal, decimal, or hexadecimal.  This is
an ongoing point of confusion.   There  is,  of  course,  a
totally  standard  way  that  mathematicians  indicate  the
numeric base, but since we can't do subscripting  in  plain
text, we can't use it. There's a long tradition of software
packages and programming languages using  similar  notation
for  all three bases, but interchanging their meanings.  We
could establish a standard abc way of indicating the  base,
and in fact a fair amount of abc software uses \243 to mean
octal 243.  But most of our users are not programmers,  and
they  are  using  all  sorts  of  software  on all sorts of
systems.  So they will always be using whatever notation is
"standard"  with the software they're familiar with, and we
will always be fighting this problem.

(Depressing, ain't it? ;-)