On 18 Aug 2004, at 08:07, Atte André Jensen wrote:

Hi

Some tunes are not in any specific key, but it seems abc doesn't have any way to notate this. If I use K:C the song is shown correctly, but this opviously is corrupted when transposing it.

Is there a solution withinn the current abc definition that I overlooked or should we consider extending the K: to allow K:none?

It has been suggested before, and seems not unreasonable.

Transposition routines would have to be re-written to deal with it though.
Currently BarFly's transpose command will only transpose to a named key, so
if I wanted to transpose Giant Steps up a whole tone I'd have to tell it to
transpose to D, and I'd get a key signature with two sharps, which I suppose
is what you mean by "corrupted".

BarFly's melody analysis thinks it's in Bb Phrygian by the way, although it's
not at all sure, and gives two other (equally unlikely) alternatives...

Phil Taylor