John Chambers wrote:

> Steven Bennett writes:
> | "K:none" is already defined in the ABC 2.0 draft spec, although there's a
> | slight ambiguity in that spec, since "none" is also shorthand for
> | "clef=none".  When I implemented that section of my parser, I resolved that
> | in favor of the key, and required the full "clef=none" if you want no clef.
>
> Sounds reasonable.  K:none should mean that  you  don't  want  a  key
> signature;  clef=none should mean that that you don't want a clef.  I
> use both in a few abc files I  have  that  generate  pages  of  blank
> manuscript paper. I also made sure that "T:" alone works for a title,
> since I don't want those on such pages, either.  And all of these are
> useful for producing musical fragments, as examples in a document.

I believe I decided that T: was a valid title field as well -- some pieces
simply don't have a title.

> | "K:" by itself is not documented in ANY version of the ABC spec as a valid
> | sequence, and cannot be assumed to work in any program.  In my own parser,
> | again, that would cause an error on the field, which would cause the field
> | to be ignored (in an attempt to recover), which would then cause all kinds
> | of havoc.  Stick with "K:none" instead.
>
> What I think I've seen is a few comments to the effect that C is  the
> default  key.   Since  most  abc software requires a K line, the only
> thing this could be talking about is a  bare  "K:"  without  any  key
> information.   Of course, I'd prefer to say that "K:" means "K:none",
> not "K:C" (or K:Am" or  "K:Ddor",  for  the  benefit  of  anyone  who
> understands the difference.  ;-).

Maybe we should add a few comments in the ABC 2.0 spec that discusses what
the behavior of a blank field line should be.  That way we don't get a
zillion different behaviors.

> This does remind me that I've got a few funny questions about  why  I
> sometimes  do  things  like  putting "K:G" at the start of a tune and
> then "K:Em" or "K:Ador" before a later phrase.  They usually say that
> the  second  K line doesn't change anything.  It does, of course, but
> how do you  explain  that  simply  to  someone  who  doesn't  already
> understand  it?   I'll usually say something like "Well, the key does
> change, and I thought it would  be  useful  to  document  this,  even
> though  it  doesn't effect the printed output." But this doesn't seem
> to be very convincing.

Until recently, I would have found such fields confusing as well.  But
having recently absorbed a lot of chord theory, it becomes almost necessary
to have such fields where the key actually does change, because the chord
progressions for "K:G" and "K:Em" are different, even though the key
notation looks the same on the staff.

That's also why I now prefer to display the key as a text string above the
staff in addition to the on-the-staff notation.

-->Steve Bennett