From: Michiel Beijen [mailto:michiel.bei...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2012 12:23 PM
To: Jan Dubois
Cc: activeperl@listserv.activestate.com
Subject: Re: ActivePerl on OS X: ppm not working, no DBD::mysql PPM available

Hi Jan,

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Jan Dubois <j...@activestate.com> wrote:

I needed this myself before too, but the problem is that ActivePerl is
a "fat" binary (contains executable code for both the 32-bit and 64-bit
version in the same files).  That means any modules must be built the
same way, and there is no corresponding MySQL library in the same format.

Maybe we should try to build a module manually just for 64-bit mode, but
it will still require some manual effort to get this into the PPM setup.

Of course I can not make decisions for ActiveState, but would it not make sense
to build 64-bit only versions? OS X has been 64-bit only since Lion, which is
about a year and a half now. I have no clue, but it *might* be easier to build
64-bit only than to try to fix the current 'fat' binaries to use 64-bit only
builds in some cases.
--
Mike