On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 08:55 -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> Perrin, you know the one I mean, the study of *why* you chose mod_perl
> there.  With real hard objective numbers about performance and defect
> rates and time-to-deploy.

But... it wasn't like that.  I doubt it ever really is.  Technical
decisions at companies are either political or almost pure chance.  They
are only rational on an individual basis.  Open source adoption is often
driven by developers from within who demonstrate its effectiveness on
small projects until management can't say no anymore.

In the case of eToys, they used Perl because the two Cal Tech students
they hired to build the site liked it.  Later, they ported some of it to
Apache::Registry in order to keep up with the load.  When I joined, they
were trying to figure out how to gear up for the next Christmas season.
I took the job largely because they were already using mod_perl and
planned to do more of it.

- Perrin