Perrin> In the case of eToys, they used Perl because the two Cal Tech
Perrin> students they hired to build the site liked it.  Later, they
Perrin> ported some of it to Apache::Registry in order to keep up with
Perrin> the load.  When I joined, they were trying to figure out how
Perrin> to gear up for the next Christmas season.  I took the job
Perrin> largely because they were already using mod_perl and planned
Perrin> to do more of it.

Oh, then this was slightly before you?  There was a study comparing
mod_perl to three other technologies for the "rewrite" of the site,
and was the reason mod_perl was chosen as the "new technology", not
just because you had legacy CGI-Perl-to-Registry usage.

I can't talk more about it, because I'm bound by NDA. :)