Under any circumstances, I still invite you to outline your approach to
the
investment problem I set. It is an absolutely central problem for AGI. How
yours or any AGI will deal with such problems - real, real-world problems
-
is surely one of the most central things we should be discussing - the
most
important issue of all.

But, from experience, I know that you guys are very unlikely to respond
when
put to the test  - so if you don't want to, I will not persist here.

Mike, it is not the case that we don't want to address real-world problems
with
our systems.  We do.

It is the case that we have adopted research programmes in which

-- there is lots of preliminary work to be done before addressing these
problems
with our AGI architectures

-- thinking about these particular applications is not the best way to work
on
our AGI architectures

To use the car-engine metaphor I introduced a while ago, we are trying to
get the pistons and fuel compression and carburation and other fundamentals
of the engine to work right ... and you are trying to get us to focus on
exactly
how the car will be steered on this or that particular racecourse once it's
all
built...

If our theories of intelligence are wrong then our work will turn out to be
largely a waste of time.  But according to the theories we are operating
under,
what we are doing is the correct course.

-- Ben