Regarding how much of the complexity of real neurons we would need to
put into a computational neural net model in order to make a model
displaying a realistic  emulation of neural behavior -- the truth is
we JUST DON'T KNOW

Izhikevich for instance

http://vesicle.nsi.edu/users/izhikevich/human_brain_simulation/Blue_Brain.htm

gets more detailed than standard formal neural net models, but is it
detailed enough?  We really don't know.  I like his work for its use
of nonlinear dynamics and emergence though.

Until we understand the brain better, we can only speculate about what
level of detail is needed...

This is part of the reason why I'm not working on a closely
brain-based AGI approach...

I find neuroscience important and fascinating, and I try to keep up
with the most relevant parts of the field, but I don't think it's
mature enough to really usefully guide AGI development yet.

-- Ben G

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Vladimir Nesov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 2:03 AM, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> No, this is not a variant of the "analog is fundamentally different from
>> digital category".
>>
>> Each of the things that I mentioned could be implemented digitally --
>>  however, they are entirely new classes of things to consider and require a
>> lot more data and processing.
>>
>> I find it very interesting that you can't even answer a straight yes-or-no
>> question without resorting to obscuring BS and inventing strawmen.
>>
>> Are you actually claiming that neurotransmitter levels are irrelevant or are
>> you implementing them?
>>
>> Are you claiming that leakage along the axons and dendrites is irrelevant or
>> are you modeling it?
>>

> Mark, I think the point is that there should be a simple model that
> produces the same capabilities as a neuron (or brain). Most of these
> biological particulars are important for biological brain, but it
> should be possible to engineer them away on computational substrate
> when we have a high-level model of what they are actually for.
>
> --
> Vladimir Nesov
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be
first overcome "  - Dr Samuel Johnson