Below, Rodney Brooks sets up a de facto model of the development of
intelligence - and it strikes me any such models are v. useful for AGI, for
they suggest a natural order of levels in which any intelligence may have to
learn about the world. Can anyone think of any similar models whatsoever,
formal or informal, extensive or brief, over & above obvious candidates like
Piaget & Kohlberg? And how does Ben's model of development for his AGI
creations relate to such models?

Secondly, it would be interesting to discuss: does anyone think that there is
no such thing - or almost no such thing - as development of intelligence? By
definition, any agent must gradually build a body of data quantitatively.The
issue is: does any intelligent agent have to build a world-picture,
qualitatively, stage by stage? Starting say with simple objects and actions and
comparisons, and moving to ever higher levels of classes of objects and actions
and comparisons?  OTOH if you do believe in a developmental approach to
intelligence, why? My impression is that the logic of most AGI's can just as
easily handle "China is attacking Japan" or "Countries often attack other
countries" as "Jill is attacking Jack."

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/print/6307

"To appreciate the challenges ahead of us, first consider four basic
capabilities that any true AGI would have to possess. I believe such
capabilities are fundamental to our future work toward an AGI because they
might have been the foundation for the emergence, through an evolutionary
process, of higher levels of intelligence in human beings. I'll describe them
in terms of what children can do.

The object-recognition capabilities of a 2-year-old child. A 2-year-old can
observe a variety of objects of some

type-different kinds of shoes, say-and successfully categorize them as shoes,
even if he or she has never seen

soccer cleats or suede oxfords. Today's best computer vision systems still make
mistakes-both false positives and

false negatives-that no child makes.

The language capabilities of a 4-year-old child. By age 4, children can engage
in a dialogue using complete clauses

and can handle irregularities, idiomatic expressions, a vast array of accents,
noisy environments, incomplete

utterances, and interjections, and they can even correct nonnative speakers,
inferring what was really meant in an

ungrammatical utterance and reformatting it. Most of these capabilities are
still hard or impossible for computers.
Photos: from left: Aaron Edsinger; Peter Menzel/Photo Researchers; Lijin
Aryananda

Sociable Machines: Founded by Rodney Brooks, MIT's Humanoid Robotics Group
develops robots capable of interacting

and cooperating with people. Aaron Edsinger built Domo [left] to explore
dexterous manipulation and visual

perception. Mertz [right], created by Lijin Aryananda, is a robotic head able
to learn from its environment.

Cynthia Breazeal designed Kismet [center] to study human-robot social
interactions.

The manual dexterity of a 6-year-old child. At 6 years old, children can grasp
objects they have not seen before;

manipulate flexible objects in tasks like tying shoelaces; pick up flat, thin
objects like playing cards or pieces

of paper from a tabletop; and manipulate unknown objects in their pockets or in
a bag into which they can't see.

Today's robots can at most do any one of these things for some very particular
object.

The social understanding of an 8-year-old child. By the age of 8, a child can
understand the difference between

what he or she knows about a situation and what another person could have
observed and therefore could know. The

child has what is called a "theory of the mind" of the other person. For
example, suppose a child sees her mother

placing a chocolate bar inside a drawer. The mother walks away, and the child's
brother comes and takes the

chocolate. The child knows that in her mother's mind the chocolate is still in
the drawer. This ability requires a

level of perception across many domains that no AI system has at the moment."