I can see 800x480 on 1.5 as a stop gap measure, so I'm holding off for
1.6 devices before buying 800x480 hardware.

The reason for this is that I could spend time sorting out a 800x480
layout which works on a 1.5 device only to find that all that work
goes out the window when the OEM releases a firmware update to bring
the device to 1.6 and adopts donuts method of layout scaling.

An example of what I've seen in terms of difference between the 1.5
Archos WVGA skin and the 1.6 SDK WVGA skin can be seen with image
sizes; If you have an app which doesn't have a supports-screens tag or
declare a minimum SDK level of 4 (yup, declaring minimum SDK of donut
alters the layout behaviour) and a layout file within it has an
ImageButton containing an image which is 48 pixels high (i.e. 10% of
the screen hight in portrait mode) it's hight is still 48 pixels on
the 1.5 Archos WVGA skin (thus making it only 6% of the screen hight
in portrait mode), but on 1.6 it's scaled so the image ends up being
72 pixels high (thus making it around 9% of the screen hight, closer
to the original).

This means that on a 1.5 WVGA device the layout can look sparse and
odd, whereas on 1.6 it looks a lot closer to what you originally had.

Given the state of the open source repo (I've been using the 1.6 build
from the open repo for a few days and it seems rock solid) I'd suggest
we're in the last weeks of Donut development the useful lifespan of a
1.5 supporting non-HVGA layout is most likley limited.

Al.