Hi all,
I'm not sure how much it is worth getting into the details of this right
now.  There is a blog post being written on the topic of different screen
sizes, and we have gone through round after round of work on the underlying
model of the platform and how to best explain the way this works, which is
reflected in the doc.  I think ultimately it is going to be much more
confusing trying to answer questions piecemeal here rather than waiting for
the full documentation that is well organized (first covering the concepts
being used and way we look at different screen configurations, then how
these impact applications, how they can opt out of different compatibility
modes, and details of how old and new APIs work in these environments).

Also, please don't base any of your work in this area on 1.5.  There was a
lot of half-done stuff in that platform that was early work on supporting
these different screen configurations, but it was very incomplete, and in
many cases behaves radically different than 1.6.

As usual, our goal is that the bulk of existing apps will just work on the
new types of hardware, though with a new wrinkle that on some kinds of
screens (smaller) there is no way for the platform to provide compatibility
for existing apps so they will be filtered out by market until they are
updated.  But this will be covered in the upcoming blog post and
documentation.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer