Yes, I prototyped exactly that, and it worked, and yield only a 4x
slowdown in database fetch time, rather than the 18x slowdown that
the RPC mechanism yielded.  However, I probably won't initially use
that technique, as I first want to see where the bloat problem is.

Uh, if you use nsproxy to push the BDB access out to a proxy pool, it'll
help you isolate the problem, won't it?  nsproxy pools are pools of
separate processes.  If you push your BDB accesses out to a nsproxy
pool, but your nsd memory footprint still grows, then you know the issue
is elsewhere in your code that's still running in your main nsd.

Right, good catch, I forgot that nxproxy pools run as separate processes, so yes, that would help catch it.

However nsd exits hard, then the nsproxy pools exit hard too, risking database corruption.

Is there a way to run an nsproxy pool started by a separate process from nsd, so that if nsd crashes the nsproxy pool keeps running.

-john