On 19/08/2008, at 10:44 AM, Tom Jackson wrote:
On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 10:01 +1000, russell muetzelfeldt wrote:

sure, the original use case that triggered this seems non-optimal,
and could be done in other ways that don't trigger the bug, but that
doesn't mean fastpath is behaving correctly...

The "use case" is a bug. You can't violate the essential granularity of
the support system and call it a bug. The granularity is: inode, size,
timestamp. Now, if we could just slow down AOLserver so that this never
happens, that would be a great fix.

yes, that's exactly what I said - fastpath should be removed.

snark aside, if I say "ns_returnfile /tmp/foo-abcd" but nsd sends the contents of the now-deleted /tmp/bar-wxyz to the client then it's not doing what I've explicitly asked, and it's a bug.

just because the correct (imo) response is "tag WONTFIX, document as a gotcha, document workaround" doesn't mean that the behaviour is correct.

cheers

Russell