What about using epoll (or equivalent) in Linux, and kqueue in FreeBSD
to tell the kernel to notify AOLServer in change a file has changed?

That'd be a pretty easy and efficient way to discard fastpath items in
case they have been deleted and/or modified.

Just my two cents ;-)

-
Juan José del Río    |
(+34) 616 512 340    |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Simple Option S.L.
  Tel: (+34) 951 930 122
  Fax: (+34) 951 930 122
  http://www.simpleoption.com