Dear all,
        Most of the times Aolserver is used with a reverse proxy like
Pound or Nginx in front of it. I would just leave Aolserver as it is...
and make sure that the reverse proxy checks the size of the objects to be
uploaded and provides a proper error message.

For Nginx:

  server {
    listen 80;
    client_max_body_size 12M;  <-- here the maximum size is 12M

Then for the error message:
To redirect to a simple 413 object too big  page for a specific location:
location /my_page {
     error_page    413  = /my_page_object_too_big.html;}
A site wide 413 page:
server {
    listen 80;
    error_page  413  /website_object_too_big.html;

Nothing to implement... everything is already done for us....

Ciao,
Maurizio