Hi

I've had the same problem in the past. There sometimes are reasons why we do
not wish to join the contigs before we send for a blast, for example once we
join the contigs, the other contig informations are lost.

I've been able to map the blast results correctly in Artemis, but because
I'm not a very good scripter, things might work or break using the bash-awk
script that I have. So I usually end up doing it sort of manually for a lot
of different people with different data sets. Here's how I do it:

1, we need a file containing <contig name> in the first column and <contig
length> in the second column. The make or break problem is that in this
file, the contig names must be arrange to the exact order as Artemis puts
them.
2, from there, I use a script to generate a file with <contig name> in the
first column and <cummulative contigs length at start of contig> in the
second column. This can be done with excel too, if you're not familiar with
scripting.
3, I then process the blastall result file, by modifying the start and stop
coordinates (adding the cummulative contigs length at start of contig to the
start and stop coordinate).

After that, (usually if nothing bad happens) you will be able to just load
the blastall result file in Artemis. Best thing is we get to keep all the
details that we might or might not need.

Cheers,
-- yealing --