Van: artemis-users-boun...@sanger.ac.uk namens Henrik Lantz
Verzonden: do 29-4-2010 9:09
Aan: artemis-users@sanger.ac.uk
Onderwerp: [Artemis-users] Multiple contigs and Blastall-results

I was hoping I could get some help with a newbie Artemis question. Very new to
all this.

I have made a denovo assembly of a fungus using MIRA and 454-data only. The
resulting fasta file with around 4000 contigs loads into Artemis fine. I can
check all the contigs, find ORFs etc. The problem appears when I want to import
the results of a blastall search on the contig-datafile. All annotations from
the blastall results are lumped into the first five contigs, with the
overwhelming majority in the first contig. Obviously not correct. I am using
the -m 8 flag for the blastall search. Looking through the resultfile from
blastall in a text editor I can see that the blastall search has worked, and
there are many interesting hits, but I would like to visualize the results on
the contigs.

I read through the mail archive and found a user with a similar problem
(http://www.mail-archive.com/artemis-users%40sanger.ac.uk/msg00463.html) and it
seems one solution might be to save the contigs as a long continuous file in
Artemis, and then use that in the Blastall search. But when I try that I get an
error message from blastall:

blastall(33748) malloc: *** mmap(size=1048576) failed (error code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region
Bus error

I am running on MacOSX Snow Leopard with 20 GBs of memory.
Any help to get an inexperienced user started would be very much appreciated!
/Henrik