Thanks Robert.  I found that in upgrading to 10.04 I'd somehow aquired
a few things I didn't need - apache2, mythweb, mythdvd, mythbackend?,
mysql.  So I removed all this stuff, and I've got down to about 315MB
before mythfrontend starts.  Still utterly unusable.  There are lots
of background processes running, but no single memory hog, so it's
difficult to know what to do to slim it down much further.

I've booted back into the ATV OS and updated it, and redone the
patchstick process. I've got a new install of XMBC running, and it
plays back my mythtv recordings pretty well, so that's a stopgap.
It's a step backwards though.

Anyway, ATV needs linux reinstalled. Perhaps I'll take a tip from you
and start with Xubuntu alt install, but it's a shame - I liked the "It
Just Works"ness of mythbuntu.

9.04 or 10.04 though??  I'd got 9.04 running pretty nicely, will 10.04
play nice?  I've had a lot of graphics related issues since I upgraded
my other boxes to Lucid (ATI Mobile Radeon x1300 disco flicker/lockups/
corrupt splash screen, nVidia drivers broken VDPAU and wierd alsa
problems).

PW